Slideshow CK

Pitcairn PA-8 "Super Mailwing"

PA-8 Mailwing Article

In 1931, Pitcairn Aviation built the PA-8 Mailwing that is currently on public display at the museum. Shortly after being certified air-worthy in 1931, it was issued the identification mark assignment (#10751) and sold to Eastern Air Transport. Over the next 60 years, this aircraft had multiple owners, before it landed back into the hands of the Pitcairn family. In 1992, Harold Pitcairn’s son Stephen, purchased the aircraft and relocated it to his hangers in Robbinsville, NJ. On June 9, 1998, after a full restoration completed by Mike Posey, President of Posey Brothers, Inc, the aircraft flew again. The aircraft continued to fly until August 2012, when the Pitcairn family gifted this Mailwing to the museum.

 

Please contact the museum if you have any information, comments, or recollections of the PA-8 Super Mailwing.

Specifications
Serial #: 162
Built: 1931
Crew: 1
Retired: 2012
Received: August 2012
Restored by: Posey Brothers, Inc
Restored: 1990's
Length: 24' 10 "
Height: 9' 9 "
Wingspan: 35'
Weight Empty: 2,270 lbs
Weight Loaded: 4,000 lbs
Powerplant: Wright R975-E3
Thrust:  
Max Speed: 150 mph
Range:  
Manufacturer: Pitcairin Aviation
Armarment: NA
Ordnance: NA
Ceiling: 16,000 ft
Status: On Display